Sunday, April 3, 2011

Why My Amazon Kindle Rules

I've been reading books for a very long time. Some people read because they have to. I, like some others, read because I enjoy getting lost in a good story. The first book I remember reading in it's entirety was Charlotte's Web. I was in third grade. Library day was a Tuesday. The class went down to the "IMC" as it was called. Still not sure what that actually meant.. if anyone wants to help me out with that, I'd be most honored. Since then I have read classics like Black Beauty, The Tell-Tale Heart by one of my favorite authors, Edgar Allan Poe and a host of Stephen King novels.
My paper and hardback novel and book collection has grown immensely. I at one time had a pile of books in the back of my car and on the side of my bed. This became cluttered and down right annoying.
Then I discovered the Amazon Kindle. I had read about the Kindle. But, I, like most thought, "how ridiculous! Reading on a screen takes the fun out of turning those flimsy book pages."
Boy, was I ever misguided.
My Amazon Kindle rules. I have about forty books on it so far. I buy a lot of reference books and need to go back and forth between them to find information I need.
The Kindle allows me to do that with ease.
The other awesome feature of the Kindle is that the screen is not lit. Well, then how do I see the words? There is a nifty little light that pulls out of the top of the device. Instead of the screen being back-lit and killing my eyeballs, it stays a grayish white color with black typeface. Extremely easy on the eyes.
There is a bookmark feature. Just push the "menu" button and bookmark the page. That way when I open the book back up, "presto!, I'm right where I left off.
The best thing about the Kindle? There is a feature for highlighting passages and marking text I deem important. I LOVE THAT. I used to write things down in a separate notebook or highlight the passage.
Now I can take all of the books I am reading with me together. Only I don't need a giant knapsack to tote them around.
Yes, I still buy books in print. Usually books with places to write in. Like workbooks, self-help books and game books. Somehow I don't think those would work too well on the Kindle. It doesn't have a dry erase board feature. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment